Traditional potato pancakes served at Hanukkah, with an optional kick of curry. Serve hot with sour cream or apple sauce.
Servings: 5 servings
- Large, Heavy Skillet
Combine in large bowl and mix well:
- 4 large potatoes peeled and grated
- 1 small onion peeled and grated
- ¼ carrot peeled and grated
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- pinch pepper
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon strong curry powder (optional)
- In a large, heavy skillet, heat 1/4-inch oil at 350° F.
- Drop potato mixture into hot oil one heaping tablespoon at a time (more for larger latkes).
- Flatten pancakes slightly but do not allow them to touch.
- Fry slowly, turning once to brown both sides.
- Remove when golden brown and dry on paper towels.